Turmeric is one of the most popular and versatile herbs in the spice and health domain. The most common use of turmeric is to add flavor or as a coloring agent. The importance of turmeric as a medicinal value is only recently gained attention.
Turmeric is used in the preparation of Ayurvedic formulations as well as home remedies. Turmeric has many bioactive properties which are effective against infection, and cancer, and also as an antioxidant agent. The benefits of turmeric are due to the presence of ‘curcumin’.
Turmeric in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Turmeric balances all three doshas. It is said to balance Vata and Kapha due to its hot potency and it balances pitta due to its bitter taste.
Some of the medicinal properties of Turmeric in Ayurveda are
👉Pramehaharaanam - Useful in Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) & Diabetes
👉Vishanut - useful against toxins
👉Kanduhara - against itching in allergies
👉Kushtahara - effective against skin diseases
👉Vranahara - helps in wound healing
👉Panduhara - effective against anemia and initial stages of liver disease
👉Twakdoshajit - detoxifies blood and skin
That's not all. Turmeric is said to have additional benefits and research is ongoing to find other health benefits of Turmeric.
Turmeric can be consumed in many forms such as along with ghee, mixed with honey, the extract of turmeric mixed with black pepper, and in other ways. But the most potent and common way turmeric is consumed is in the form of hot Turmeric Milk. In Fact, the ‘Golden Milk’ as it is popularly known is gaining popularity in Western cultures.
Benefits of Turmeric Milk
Turmeric milk has a wide variety of health benefits. Regular consumption of golden milk will relieve pain and inflammation associated with some diseases and boosts immunity and overall health.
- Loaded with Antioxidants - Curcumin, the active component in turmeric, fights against cell damage protecting the body against oxidative stress.
- Relieves pain - A study showed that Curcumin present in Turmeric is efficacious against pain and inflammation present in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Curcumin acts by inhibiting the production of PGE2 which is a mediator of inflammation and by depleting substance P, a neurotransmitter that relays pain messages to the brain.
- Improves memory and brain function - A randomized study showed that curcumin may increase levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which is essential to form new brain connections and promotes brain cell growth.
- Improves heart health - Turmeric milk lowers total cholesterol levels while increasing levels of HDL or good cholesterol. It lowers systolic blood pressure if it is consumed for 12 weeks or more.
- Improves mood - The Curcumin present in Turmeric may boost mood and reduce symptoms of depression.
About Haldi Doodh Milk Powder Mix
Healing Home Wellness has come up with a natural product that is research-backed and proven to be efficacious against many of the ailments presented above. The Haldi Doodh mix also has Ashwagandha which has its own medicinal value in its own right.
Easy to prepare this Haldi Doodh is loaded with medicinal herbs and the taste is enhanced by almonds and pistachios.
Turmeric milk is loaded with antioxidants that provide an array of health benefits ranging from pain relief to healthier bones to good memory. To reap benefits, consume a glass of golden milk with Ashwagandha extract. The milk mix provides additional benefits in the form of vitamins A and D.