Turmeric is not only a spice but our tradition. It is found in almost all Indian households.
Before the Internet age , people used to send wedding cards. They used to put a 'teeka' on each card before sending. On the wedding day , a good amount of turmeric paste was applied to the groom and bride so that they have a glow on the skin. The bride gives a glass of milk to the groom to drink on the wedding night. Raw turmeric is used in all religious occasions. Turmeric holds the major role in granny's treatment. So ,why is turmeric so necessary for us? There must be some reason for using turmeric for centuries. It might be possible that the introduction of turmeric as a spice may have been motivated by its preventive properties against many diseases rather than it's value as a flavouring agent. It is used as a common home remedy.
- Turmeric contains a phytochemical compound curcumin , which lends yellow colour to it. It has antioxidant abilities.
- Curcumin helps to protect against cataracts. It protects the lens of the eye from becoming cloudy.
- Turmeric contains phenolic acids, which are a subgroup of plant polyphenol that may have the ability to destroy free radicals as well as activate cancer fighting enzymes in the body, which helps to reduce tumor early in the cancer process.
- It has been found in research that turmeric prevents the rise of cholesterol in blood. Effective in Ischaemic Heart Disease.
- Turmeric helps to get rid of intestinal worms.
- It is a common home remedy for respiratory disease such as influenza , bronchitis and bronchial asthma, common cold and cough . A tsp of turmeric boiled with a cupful of milk is the cure. It is also taken with coriander and cinnamon as a relief.
- Helps to cure rheumatism.
- In prevention of dietary deficiency anaemia, turmeric plays an important role.
- Turmeric along with Indian gooseberry is also considered to be useful in diabetes .
- Turmeric water is believed to be an effective remedy against urticaria.
- For the cure for haematuria it is taken with Indian gooseberry.
- Prescribed for abdominal gas, fever,liver disease, urinary diseases.
- It is used locally for cleaning wounds and ulcers. It is used as a poultice for boils. Applied on itchy skin. Along with neem, used to cure pimples.
- Mix with warm milk and drink in the night to reduce fatigue and aches.
- Local application is beneficial in sprains and inflammation of joints. Used in eye and ear infection. People wash inflamed eyes with turmeric water.
Why is turmeric so special? It has a high content of potassium. Also contains calcium , phosphorus, iron , vitamin A and nicotinic acid and essential oil.
Many scientists have conducted various researches to know the benefits of turmeric. The antimicrobial of curcumin was observed. It was observed that the antibiotic effect was there but it was less effective than the other antibiotics . The inhibiting effect of fungal infection was shown by Mishra and Sahu (Indian journal of Pharmacol,9,269,1977). Gujral and coworkers (1953)showed that turmeric helps in the healing of wounds. Dr.Subbarao and associates found that there is less rise in cholesterol levels in the body . There is so much research regarding the benefits of turmeric.
Turmeric water is my favourite. I start my day with a glass of lukewarm turmeric water. I feel fresh and I have seen improvement on my digestive system , skin , and haemoglobin level . And surprisingly my bones don't ache .!!!